June 9, 2014

Using SMART Boards in the Classroom

Some educators think that SMART Boards are great tools to use for teaching and learning in the classroom... and others consider them to be "glorified chalkboards." As with many teaching tools, I believe it's the educator who makes the difference. In my opinion, an excellent teacher will use a SMART Board well.
Smart Board / Brandon Dill / CC BY-NC-ND 2.0
Personally, the Notebook software that comes with SMART Boards is one of my favorite applications. It's so easy to design activities to meet the needs of your students and the curriculum. And, if you don't have time to create your own activities, there's bound to be appropriate ones available--for free--created by others.

I am selecting resources for an upcoming summer workshop that serves as an introduction to using SMART Boards and Notebook software. I searched for appropriate resources for this workshop using my educational sandbox (a Google custom search engine for a select list of blogs discussed at How Do You Search for Information on a Topic?). Because I have taught this topic recently I want to add just a few outstanding resources to what I already use.
 
I categorized the resources I found by the blogs where they are located. I hope that will encourage the workshop participants to explore those blogs for other ideas, also.


CYBRARYMAN…
EDUCATORS’ TECHNOLOGY…
EDUDEMIC…
EDUTOPIA…
FREE TECH 4 TEACHERS…
LEE’S SUMMIT…
  • Lee's Summit R-7 Instructional Technology ... http://www.lsr7.org/its/ ... school district instructional technology resources site… includes SMART Board resources and many other instructional technology resources
SPEED OF CREATIVITY…
LIBRARY GUIDES…
_______________
Will I use ALL these resources in the workshop? Most likely not. However resources that do not become part of the workshop activities may find themselves in a list provided for the participants to access on their own during the workshop or later.

These sites should help facilitate some interesting and useful discussions. How do you help other educators discover the benefits of using SMART Boards?

No comments:

Post a Comment